Sometimes you run into the problem that someone has forgotten their password for their home PC. As a good friend you are going to help them recover their password.
- Go over to http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/ and download a Live CD with tables (either for XP or Vista/7)
- Burn the CD with imgburn or create a USB-Boot disk with Universal Usb Installer
- Start the computer by booting from the USB-stick/CD
- Ophcrack will launch immediately and try to crack the password by brute force
- If it does not work, click on the button “tables”
- Now click on the button “Install” and navigate to the tables directory on the CD or USB-drive (something like /media/usb-drive/tables)
- Enable the tables, it is going to take a while to load them into RAM
- Retry to crack the password.
Write down the password, restart the computer and log in. Change the password to something that a human being can remember.